PORTLAND, N.D. ⁠— A woman is in custody following a police standoff in Traill County after police say two men were shot in a residential area of Portland on Friday night, June 28.

Police first got a report of an armed woman in Portland around 9:45 p.m. Friday, according to Traill County Sheriff Steve Hunt, who said two men were found with gunshot wounds when officers arrived on the scene. According to Hunt, the Grand Forks Regional SWAT team responded when the woman, later identified as Sadie Rix, barricaded herself inside of the van and a standoff ensued.

The two men found with gunshot wounds were able to get away from danger without help and were brought to a hospital for treatment, Hunt said.

Officers formed a perimeter around the van, where Rix, 42, could be seen hiding as officers tried to convince her to surrender. It is still unclear exactly when the standoff started.

Just before 1 a.m. screams could be heard coming from near the van, which was parked on a residential street near the intersection of Seventh Street and Grand Forks Avenue in Portland, a town of around 600 people 30 miles southwest of Grand Forks.

"Exit the rear of the van with your hands in the air," an officer could be heard saying repeatedly over a loudspeaker throughout the course of the standoff, which carried on from the late hours of Friday to around 1:30 a.m. Saturday.

A SWAT robot could also be seen on a lawn near the vehicle. Neighbors said police asked them to evacuate the blocks surrounding the van.

At one point, police used a flash-bang grenade to disorient Rix and force her out of the van, Hunt said. Police then used a sponge bullet to break a window on the van and introduced gas in the vehicle, he said.

Soon after, Rix exited the van and was apprehended. She could be seen being taken away by police in handcuffs just after 1:30 a.m.

Hunt said it's unknown exactly what charges she will face, though he said she'll initially be booked in Grand Forks County jail on an aggravated assault charge. Officers said Rix is not from Portland, and the van she was in had Texas license plates.

Police spent the hours following the standoff gathering evidence in the area surrounding the van. A North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation unit arrived at the scene around 4:30 a.m.

During the incident, onlookers gathered near a pickup truck parked a block away from the scene, drinking beers and speculating on what might have happened.

"I've never seen anything like this in this small town," said Jadene Higdem, who has lived in Portland for 25 years.