MAHNOMEN, Minn. — The gunshot wound that killed a Mahnomen man Tuesday afternoon, Feb. 11, was self-inflicted, local authorities said in a news release identifying the victim.

Emergency responders on Tuesday found a wounded 29-year-old Jonathan Lafriniere while responding to a report of a person who had been shot, according to the Mahnomen County Sheriff's Office. Lafriniere was first brought to a Mahnomen hospital and then flown to Fargo for treatment, where he died.

While a preliminary autopsy report found that Lafriniere had shot himself, Chief Deputy Rob Bexell said it was too early to say what type of death it is.

The incident, which was under investigation by local authorities and the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, was believed to be isolated, the sheriff's office said. It is not believed there is any threat to the public.