Cloquet resident Edward Peacock pleaded guilty Friday morning to third-degree assault causing substantial bodily harm, a felony, in Carlton County Court. Charges of first-degree burglary and second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon were dismissed. A jury trial scheduled for Tuesday was also cancelled as a result.

The charges stemmed from an incident Nov. 11, in which Edward and his brother, Tyler Peacock, were accused of entering a family home near Cloquet in the early hours of the morning and assaulting two brothers and their father. After the fracas, one of the victims, Brady Roger Granheim, 25, was hospitalized in the intensive care unit at Essentia Health St. Mary's Medical Center with a broken jaw, a fractured bone around the eye and several skull fractures as well as missing teeth, Cloquet Police Detective Darrin Berg said at the time.

Assistant County Attorney Michael Boese said the plea agreement was hammered out via cell phone last Thursday, and that Edward Peacock "stipulated" to the police reports, essentially admitting the reports were true, and that he and his brother had caused Granheim's injuries.

Although Tyler's case is still working its way through the court system, Edward was released after the plea deal because he had already served the jail time the prosecution was requesting, Boese said, adding that Edward was essentially a first-time offender. Edward will be formally sentenced Feb. 16. Boese said a chemical dependency evaluation had been ordered and the prosecution is recommending three years probation. A no contact order was also issued by Judge Robert E. Macaulay Jr., prohibiting Edward from any contact with the victims of the assault.

One of two brothers accused of assault pleads guilty