Youth hockey and figure skating aficionados need not fret. Despite inactivity last week, construction of the Icon Sports Center on Grand Forks' south end is only slightly behind schedule. Work on the arena has resumed after being shut down for most of last week by high winds.
Reggie Tarr is thankful that his father, Moses, won't have to endure the travel and time that it took him to become a United States citizen. To complete the process of becoming a citizen, Reggie needed to make six trips to Fargo. But his father and other local refugees won't have to experience the same burden, since complete immigration services in Grand Forks became available in November for the first time. "With the services here in Grand Forks, it will save money and time and everything," Tarr said.
No entrée today, folks. Just appetizers. Following are three mini-columns, so ingest them after nibbles, not bites. The aperitif The East Grand Forks Police Department's Dec. 12 alcohol compliance checks of city outlets selling booze found three violators. During each sting operation, a minor is sent into an establishment, seeking to purchase alcohol. If the minor isn't carded and is allowed to make a purchase, the establishment breaks the law. Three of the 13 establishments broke the law.
For the third consecutive year, the University of Minnesota-Crookston is ranked among the top 25 percent of colleges for "Best Online Bachelor's Programs." The online academic rankings, made by U.S. News and World Report magazine, place UMC 69th out of 283 higher education respondents. The four-year college's online degree program started in 1996, when UMC was approved to deliver a bachelor's degree of applied health.
The East Grand Forks City Council has developed a timeline for replacing Alderman Ron Vonasek, who died Dec. 9. Applications at City Hall will be accepted through Jan. 30 and interviews of candidates by council members will be held at City Hall on Feb. 11. A replacement will be chosen to fill the First Ward opening at the Feb. 18 council meeting. "We want to move along as fast as we can," Council President Craig Buckalew said. The appointee will serve until the end of the year.
Grand Forks County had the fourth-highest rate of child abuse and neglect in North Dakota in 2012. So say recently released North Dakota Department of Human Services statistics. The county had 15.44 cases of abuse and neglect per 1,000 children during 2012 while the statewide average was 9.1.
Cam Tweten was a fitness club manager and Brandy Chaffee was a public relations director for the Grand Forks Park District, neither with fundraising experience, when they were appointed to head the Imagine campaign to solicit the money for what became Choice Health & Fitness. Along with an ever-growing list of allies, they raised $27 million -- $3 million going for Y Family Center improvements and $24 million for the construction of the multifaceted and voluminous Choice on the city's south end.
One thing is clear about Melvin Sovde Jr., of Greenbush, Minn. He is no slacker. Better known as Junior, he has driven a school bus for 52-plus years and has taken only one sick day. One. And, even on that one day, he showed up for work. He explains: "We were using a Knipco heater in the shop, and it kicked some fumes right in my face.
CROOKSTON -- The first rock thrown Wednesday evening by Sarah Reese barreled through the house. "Less muscle, more brain," she told herself as she playfully tapped herself on the side of her stocking cap-covered head. Minutes later, after her rock displaced an opposition rock on the button -- curling jargon's version of the bull's-eye -- she raised her arms in triumph and had another succinct message: "Amen.
DEVILS LAKE, N.D. -- Despite efforts of firefighters working in wind chills falling to 56 below zero, the Dakota Dry Bean elevator here is a total loss. Dakota Dry Bean owner Dave Polries of Grand Forks said the loss was $1 million -- $600,000 for the elevator and its equipment and $400,000 for the 100,000 bushels of pea byproducts inside. Polries bought the elevator in 2004, when it was a Peavey elevator. The cause of the fire, spotted by a police officer at 8:07 p.m. Sunday, has not been determined.